Sunday, January 8, 2012

To Drink Or Not To Drink? That is the Question......


Some one recently had a real big issue with me. Why? Because I openly admit that I occasionally go out and have a few drinks. GASP!

Apparently, that's a big no-no for a Nutritional Consultant! I had no idea. While I certainly don't make a habit of going out and getting drunk, I enjoy having a few cocktails now and then.  I just don't over-do it and I don't drink and drive. EVER!




I am a Health and Nutritional Consultant.
Did I go to school for this? Yes.
Do I have credentials and certifications? Uh- huh.
And years of experience, too. 

I share my passion for health, wellness and nutrition with everyone I meet. I help people change their lives from the inside out- beginning with how and what they eat. Food is the foundation for everything!

Where does alcohol fit into all this? It's a personal choice. Some nutritionists believe that a few cocktails can be part of healthy lifestyle. Some say you should drink a glass of red wine every day.  Here's a good article regarding all that: Alcohol Can Be Part of a Healthy Lifestyle. Others are completely against drinking any alcohol. I believe, having an occasional drink or two is perfectly acceptable.  Consuming excessive amounts of alcohol to point of drunkenness on a regular basis and making poor choices as a result? A whole different animal altogether and never a good idea.

I love this little quote about drinking:

"Don't drink because you feel bad. Drink because you feel good!"

In other words, if you drink because you are depressed and feel awful about your life, you might want to reconsider and look for alternatives. Drinking might help you forget your issues for awhile but they all come back the moment you are sober. This is when drinking problems start and how the alcoholic is born.  You have to keep drinking to forget. To drown your sorrow.  That's harmful and dangerous. If you can't relax, unwind, or enjoy yourself without drinking, you might want to find out why. Talk to a therapist or a counselor. Alcohol never solves anything. In fact, over time, it can complicate everything.

The celebratory champagne toast, a beer or two at a BBQ on a hot summer day, wine with dinner, a Bloody Mary at brunch- perfectly acceptable. A Girls' Night Out and a few rounds of drinks? As long as no one is driving--lots of fun and a great way to spend a Friday night after a week of hard work. However, if you need to drink, it's probably best to avoid it.

Have I ever had too much to drink? Absolutely. Do I need to drink? NO! I never did.  I don't keep liquor in my home. Occasionally, someone will give me a bottle of wine but I can't remember the last time I actually bought one for myself. I do love adding a bit of red wine to my tomato sauce, if I have it in the house. Balsamic vinegar works well, too. When I do drink, it's usually when I am out with my friends or at a restaurant. I am careful, I limit my alcohol consumption and I always drink plenty of water. And....this is crucial: if I am having a bad day or if I am angry, upset or emotional, I never, ever drink alcohol!

Setting up rules and boundaries, knowing yourself and your limitations and honoring them (and demanding that others honor them, as well) are the keys to living a happy, healthy, successful life.

If you choose to embibe, it's totally your decision. It really doesn't make you healthier or less than healthy if you do or you don't. As long as you drink responsibly. And keep in mind that some mixed drinks are very high in calories so if you're trying to lose weight, you might want to stick with light beer or wine spritzers. I never tell my clients not to drink. I might suggest different choices if weight loss is their goal. If I suspect they have a drinking problem, I point them in the direction of a trained professional. That's not my area of expertise, although I have helped recovering alcoholics and drug addicts make healthier eating choices.  If my clients don't drink, I would never encourage them to start. 

Alcohol, in excess, is toxic.  So is coffee. Sugar. Chocolate. Potato chips. I've been known to indulge in those things a few times. How about you?  Too much of anything, for that matter, is toxic. I am not perfect. I never claimed to be perfect. The fact that I openly admit my imperfections is what draws people to me time and time again.

I might joke around that the key to my heart is a Grey Goose Dirty Martini. That happens to be my favorite drink. I don't drink them all the time and I can't drink too many. They're super strong and unless someone else is buying, they are expensive. Is that statement true? Nah....It's a joke. I want my life to be shaken (not stirred) with laughter. The key to my heart is humor. I am looking for someone who can make me laugh about life's silly imperfections. I mean really laugh. I will be his forever, with or without the perfectly blended martini.

And this is my Daily Cyn.......

No comments:

Post a Comment