Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow Again!!!

The weather forecast for tomorrow? SNOW! That's right....more of the frozen white stuff! So far, here in NY we have had over 30" of it, and it's only February.

I can't remember the last time we had such a large accumulation of snow. It doesn't seem to get warm enough or stay warm enough for any of it to melt away so it just keeps piling up and piling up, freezing over and making things a bit messy. The main topic on everyone's lips--SNOW and the aggravating, cold, inconvenience of it. Everywhere I go I hear the same thing, "I can't believe we are getting more snow! I can't take any more snow! When are we getting rid of all this snow? I hate the snow!" Personally, I love the snow. I love to play in it, walk in it, stand out in my front yard as it falls from the sky, and I love that crisp, chilly, peaceful hush after each snow fall. It's like God tossed a huge white blanket over my little world and everything is fresh and clean for just a little while. Yes, it's inconvenient. Yes, I must shovel it and dig out the car when the snow plows bury it. Snow is a nightmare to drive in, when it freezes over at night and turns to ice you must be extremely cautious, and it makes the daily commute to work extra slow, messy, and time consuming. It once took me over 5 hours to drive home from work in the snow. I was cold, tired, and hungry by the time I arrived at my house, but I also had 5 hours of uninterrupted time to think, listen to music, and chat on the phone with friends I never have the time to talk with (on the hands-free of course!) I take the LIRR to work now and all trains are suspended if there is an accumulation of ten inches or more. That means I am stranded and cannot get to the office if I tried. It also means I have a day off and don't have to get dressed. In this age of technology, I can have my office calls forwarded to my cell, retrieve and respond to emails, and schedule a closing all from the comfort of my livingroom, in my bathrobe, with a cup of hot cocoa and my little cat snuggled beside me. That's not such a bad thing! It's all about perspective, folks!

Despite my love for the snow, I recently noticed I have jumped on the bandwagon of constant complaining, rolling my eyes at every meterologist's mention of it, and cursing the very crunch of the frozen stuff beneath my feet each time I walk out the front door. Why is this? I thought back to when I was a kid and even a hint of snow in the forecast would cause an outbreak of joyous shouting, laughter and excitment! It meant days off from school, sled riding, snow ball fights, snow forts, snow men in the front yard! When did that attitude shift take place from sheer pleasure to aggravation? I didn't notice when it happened but it did and I don't like it! It was time for a little examination and evaluation.

When we become adults, life obviously changes. We have jobs, bills, a home, children and responsibilities, and burdens and concerns we never had as kids. Our goals and the things that keep us awake at night are different but does that mean we have to lose that sparkle and excitment we had as children? Does it mean we have to be serious, complaining, negative and aggravated? Absolutely not!!!

I am a Nutritional Consultant and my main focus is food. I practice and teach the benefits of a healthy diet and how we can heal ourselves and even prevent diseases simply by what we put in our mouths. I believe we are what we eat and that food is the foundation of good health. Food is important for our bodies but what about primary food? What do you nourish your spirit and soul with? What is it that brings you pleasure, that causes you to forget about everything else and get lost in the moment? If you can't put your finger on it, think back to when you were a child. What did you love to do back then and why aren't you doing it now? Have you ever watched a child at play? They don't care what they look like, who laughs at them or what they need to do tomorrow or even an hour from now. They are completely living in the present moment without a care in the world. When was the last time you felt like that?

I challenge you to try something different the next time the snow falls. Change your attitude and pretend you are young again. Forget about work, shoveling the driveway, and every other inconvenience for a little while. Get out your hat, your scarf, your gloves, your warm frumpy boots and take a walk in the snow, build a snowman, lay down in it, roll in it, and make snow angels. Build a snow fort, make a huge stock pile of snowballs and challenge your kids, your neighbors, or your mate to a snowball fight! Loser needs to make and serve the hot cocoa to the other as you sit and warm up before a roaring fire, or the heater, or the oven! Climb into a hot steaming bathtub with your sweetheart after and defrost together! Just have fun....be like a child for a little while. I guarantee you will be refreshed, renewed, rejuvenated and all your cares and burdens will disappear. You might even miraculously find the solution to a huge problem or issue simply because you stepped away from it for awhile and focused your energy on having fun! Your whole attitude will shift and the next time you hear snow in the forecast, rather than rolling your eyes and complaining like everyone else, you might discover that you do love the snow after all.

And this is my Daily Cyn.............

If you are interested in Nutritional Consulting or learning more about Primary Food, visit my website at:
http://www.truemetamorphosis.org. Send me an email or complete and submit one of the health questionnaires! I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment