Friday, March 5, 2010

The Wee Hours of the Morning Diner Dilemma

I am a Health and Nutritional Counselor and I talk about and try to practice good health and good eating on a daily basis. How can I possibly help others if I don't practice what I preach? I am also a regular fun-loving girl who loves to go out, have fun, go to restaurants to sample new and exciting menus, and attend concerts and shows and dance the night away. Those who really know me also know that I enjoy drinking Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist of lime on Friday nights and a nice Bloody Mary with brunch on Sunday afternoons. This might appear to be hypocritical to most but I am upfront, honest, healthy, and believe moderation is the key. I rarely drink during the week (wine occassionally with dinner)and even on the weekends I stick with clear alcohol without mixers and avoid fancy, sweet, calorie laden drinks like the pina colada, margarita, mudslide, and the frozen daiquiri.

On Friday nights, a few of us like to go out to a little local place to have a drink or two and dance our cares away. No one talks about work, no one talks about stress, no one talks about money issues. We just laugh and have a good time. Friday night turns into Saturday morning and we are tired, hungry, and wanting a good old-fashioned breakfast. Before I met my boyfriend, I would never consider going to the diner for a meal at that time but once someone mentions they are starving, I realize I am hungry also and always go along for the ride. After a few months of doing this, I notice I always feel so sluggish and unhealthy the next day, not to mention the few extra pounds I have gained. Blame it on my age, blame it on inconsistent exercise, blame on going to bed on a full stomach combined with the artery clogging cheese omlettes, greasy homefries, and toast dripping with butter. This is all food I am not accustomed to eating, my body doesn't like it, and even if it is only once a week.....it's not good for me!

I certainly don't want to stop going to out to eat with all my friends on Fridays. I don't want to be known as a stick in the mud because it's so unhealthy. That's just going to make everyone else feel badly about themselves. We could go home and cook, but honestly, who wants to start cooking eggs and frying bacon at 4AM and deal with the mess after?

Here's a solution. I can eat, I can have fun, I don't have to be the boring one in the group because I am trying to eat right. My new "wee-hours of the morning" diner breakfast: eggwhites with spinach, salsa on the side, lettuce and tomato, and rye or whole wheat toast with very little or no butter, and glass of tomato juice. It's delicious, it's satisfying, it's nutritious, and I won't feel sluggish the next day. I will let the others enjoy their fried eggs, french toast, homefries, ham, bacon, sausage, and toasted bagels and will not say a word.

Be who you are and be authentic. Never make poor choices just because everyone else is. Be kind to yourself and be kind to your body and your body will be kind to you. And....remember, if you choose to drink alcohol, please be responsible and never, ever drink and drive!!

And this is my Daily Cyn..........

No comments:

Post a Comment