Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving.........the Day After

Me and my great-grand nephew, Alizarius
What a wonderful day I had yesterday surrounded by family, friends and loved ones.  My lovely niece brought her twins later on in the evening as we ate dessert.  That was the "icing on the cake' for me. 

Oh, did we ever feast! My mom cooked up a storm and our Thanksgiving table was overflowing with all kinds of delicious treats- a huge turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, two kinds of cranberry sauce, baked sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, corn pudding, biscuits!  After dinner, coffee, fruit, nuts, roasted chestnuts, and every kind of pie known to man.  It was a non-stop eating frenzy.

I am the only "non-meat-eater" in the group so I did not  indulge in the turkey, the gravy or the stuffing.  I ate my little veggie burger but my VEGAN ways were cast aside as soon as I saw that corn pudding and the green bean casserole! They are full of dairy products but I could not resist a small taste of each. I also could not refuse a sliver of coconut custard pie after dinner.  How do I feel today? YUCK!!! My stomach hurts and I am sluggish. Interesting............in just three weeks of a totally vegan diet (no animal products, no dairy, no eggs) how much better and healthier I have been feeling without them and how awful I feel right now after just a couple of samplings of this and that.

What does this tell me? My body thrives and functions well on lean protein like tofu, tempeh and beans, whole grains, and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.  Anything else makes me feel tired, bloated and physically ill.  Does this mean I will never again enjoy a slice of homemade coconut custard pie? NO.... but when I do, I must be willing to pay the price of feeling lousy for a day or two after. 

Today, it's vegetable broth and some fresh fruit, vegetables, and lots of water for me.  I must rid my system of the offending foods and be gentle with myself.  I am going to rest and enjoy the company of my friends and family and keep it low key today.

It's ok to indulge once in awhile. I would never discourage anyone from doing that.  What is life if we can't enjoy good things like cake and pie or turkey with home made stuffing with friends and family?  When you do this, however, step back for a minute and try to notice how you feel after. Do you feel more sluggish than normal? Is your stomach queasy? Do you feel moody, aggravated or sad? Pay attention and be kind to yourself the next day and get right back on the path of healthy eating..........until the next holiday!

And this is my Daily Cyn...........

No comments:

Post a Comment