Monday, December 6, 2010

A Few of My Favorite (and Necessary) Things.........

I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite and necessary things and tell you why they are my favorite and necessary things.  Perhaps a few of them will become yours, too. Maybe you will even get some great gift ideas to give to someone you love...( I added some links for you).

Here they are:

1.  Lipstick...........
Nothing perks up a look more than a great shade of lipstick.  I am forever applying it for two reasons--my lips tend to get very dry AND I am a bit on the pale side and need a little color.  I prefer natural, earthy shades of lipstick. You can run out of the house without a stitch of makeup as long as you put on your lipstick.  It instantly brightens your whole look.  You can even blend a bit into your cheeks for extra color.  Just be sure to use a natural brand.  I wear Ecco Bella Flower Color Lipsticks.  They are made from all natural ingredients, are vegan and cruelty-free.  Ecco Bella Cosmetics
2.  Coconut Oil...........
Coconut Oil is amazing.  It's the best thing you can use to moisturize your hair, skin and nails.  I apply it as soon as I step out of the shower every morning and it keeps me feeling soft and silky all day.  I also massage it into my cuticles every night before I go to sleep.  My long, curly locks tend to get very dry and  just a little dab of the oil tames the frizzies and give my hair a glorious shine. The fragrance reminds me of sunny summer days at the beach.  It's the perfect pick-me-up during winter months.

3.  Success Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice......
Probably the only convenience food you will ever find in my pantry.  This box of rice is a life-saver when you just don't have the time to wait.  Just boil water, toss in the bag for a few minutes and VIOLA! Perfect rice every time! Buy it! You won't be sorry.

4. Frozen Edamame..........
I keep bags of edamame in my freezer all the time. Edamame are soybeans in their pods. They are delicious, nutritious, and packed with protein.  I eat edamame when I am in the mood to munch.  I take a handful, put them in the microwave for about three minutes, sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy! Sometimes I dip them in Goddess dressing.  So much better than to snack on than chips and pretzels.  I only buy the Non-GMO SeaPoint Farms brand. 



5.  Trader Joe's Frozen Grilled Vegetables...........
Luscious slices of tender, perfectly grilled and marinated eggplant and zucchini in a bag! I suppose this is considered convenience food but I don't care.  I must have a bag or two in my freezer during the winter months. Take out what you need and cook them in the microwave for a few minutes.  Bake them in the oven and top with cheese until it melts. Pile layers on sliced italian bread for a delicious veggie sandwich. The possibilites are endless. A little tip: they can be a bit oily after you microwave them. Dab off the excess oil with a towel before you bake or serve them.

6.  Fresh Limes............
I hate water but I know I need to drink it.  I keep fresh limes in a basket in my kitchen, slice them up, and add them to plain filtered or sparkling mineral water.  Limes add a nice citrus flavor and extra vitamin C.  I sip my water with lime from a wine glass.  It makes me feel like I am drinking something other than just plain old water. 

7. Candles...........
I burn candles in my home all the time.  They are part of my evening ritual.  I come home from work, feed my cat, Sambo, and light my candles.  I sit and chill for a few minutes (sipping my water with lime from a wine glass) before I start preparing dinner.  I need that time to decompress after a stressful day and a hectic commute.  Candles bring peace to any environment.  I even burn them in my office at the Wellness Center.  Scented candles fill your space with gorgeous fragrance.  Light an Apple Pie or Chocolate scented candle to help satisfy your cravings for sweets.  Sometimes the delicious aroma is all you need.  The most ordinary meal becomes romantic when you dine by candlelight.  I recommend you use unscented candles at the dinner table.  You might not enjoy the scent of lavender filling the air while eating your Fettucini Alfredo. 

8.  Yoga Pants............ 
Some people like sweats.  I prefer yoga pants.  They are soft, breathable, slightly tight but never constricting.  They are flared at the bottom so my legs look long and lean.  I always wear black yoga pants but they come in all different colors. Yes--they are made for yoga ( and I use them for that) but they are also perfect for running errands or lounging around the house.  They look great with a cotton tee or tank top and sandals at a casual gathering.  When I am not at work or out on the town, I live in my yoga pants.  

9. Eco-friendly, reusable cotton shopping bags...........
Yup!  I am one of those people!  I bring my own bags to the market with me when I shop.  I hate the idea of plastic bags. When I know I am stopping at the store, I make sure I have one or two bags with me.  You'd be surprised how much stuff you can pack in them.  And they won't tear or break while carting your groceries into the house.  I also use them as tote bags to carry my breakfast and lunch, umbrella, and paperwork back and forth to work every day. You can toss them in the washer and dryer and they look as good as new.  Invest in a few of these bags and do your part for the environment!

10.  Books.........
You can tell an awful lot about a person by what they read.  I love to read.  I devour a novel or two a week.  I can't read enough.  I am always reading three or four different books at the same time.  I read for entertainment, education, inspiration and self-improvement.  I love libraries and randomly picking books from the shelves that look interesting.  I can spend an entire day in the bookstore and a shop full of used books is  heaven to me. If you invite me to your home, I will be checking out your bookshelves.  I am always fascinated by what people read.  Although it would be the perfect gadget for a commuter like me; I am not and never will be a Kindle-kind-of-girl.  I don't care how convenient they are or how many classics are right at my fingertips ready and waiting to be down-loaded in seconds flat.  Please don't buy me one for Christmas because I would miss that feeling of anticipation, excitment and suspense as I turn the next page of a book.  No Kindle for me, thank you. I'll continue carrying my five pound, 800 page novels with me everywhere I go. 

And this is my Daily Cyn................

No comments:

Post a Comment