Friday, February 18, 2011

A Great Body

As I waited on line yesterday for my daily morning fix........
I noticed a young girl on line with me. She was dressed in a sweatshirt and a pair of leggings. Her legs were long and lean and her butt was tiny and tight.  I don't normally make a habit of checking out other women, but I couldn't help but notice how great she looked.   As I gave her the quick once-over, I saw she was wearing a pair of those tone-up sneakers.  You know the ones I mean. I won't mention the brand name but they were the ugly ones. There's even a commercial about them- Make them notice YOU-not your sneakers!  Something like that.

I thought they were the most ridiculous looking pair of shoes I had ever seen.  I own a pair of sneakers- old  Reeboks.  I wear them when I am occasionally inspired to walk on the treadmill.  I have a treadmill in my house. I don't have to go into the garage or down into the basement to use it.  It's right in the next room.  Did you know a treadmill is a great thing on which to hang your coats, scarves and those freshly washed jeans you refuse to toss in the dryer because they might shrink?

As I watched her strut out of the coffee shop with her coffee and donut, I thought to myself, "Maybe there really is something to those sneakers."  I couldn't wait to get in front of my computer at the office and order myself a pair.  

Then logic took over. There is no pair of sneakers in the world that are going to give me a body like that.  A body like that takes time, dedication, sacrifice.  If all it took was a pair those ugly sneakers,  I would gladly hand over all my sexy, strappy stilettos and boots and wear them all the time. Damn! I will even sleep in them!  

The physically fit girl had one very important thing going for her that I don't. YOUTH.  She couldn't have been more than twenty years old.  I am forty-nine.  She is really just beginning her life.  I am already half way through mine. She has the time, energy, and the freedom to spend a few hours a day at the gym and go out dancing every night if she wishes.  I don't.  She hasn't raised a son who was the size of a two year old at birth.  I did.  Seriously, my son was HUGE when he was born.  He still is. Twenty-one years later, my body still has not completely recovered.

She hasn't spent the past twenty years behind a desk munching on celery and carrot sticks for fear of gaining weight. She does not have to worry about taking the stairs every where she goes to avoid the dreaded "secretary spread". I have and I still do.

I am not making excuses for myself.  I work out.  I walk, do yoga, lift weights.  I do the best with what I've got and I look pretty good for a woman my age. I know, no matter how often I do these:
I am never going to have hips, thighs or a butt like this:
  
And I am ok with that.  

I know that as long as I eat well, get plenty of rest and exercise regularly, I will look just fine. 

As for those ugly, tone-up sneakers- I ordered a pair. They should be here in a few days.  I know they won't work miracles but they certainly can't hurt. I'll be sure to let you know.

And this is my Daily Cyn.....   

No comments:

Post a Comment