Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Upward and Onward! Turning a Curse into a Blessing.......

Now that I've recovered from an unexpected slap in the face last week, I finally have my head on straight again.  Honestly, I can't really say it was totally unexpected.  How long can one continue to draw a salary (no matter how small) from a company that is not earning any money?  Something had to give!

For those of you who don't know, I was laid off from my regular 9 - 5 job in the Mortgage Industry.  I have enjoyed a very fulfilling and profitable career for ten years in this business.  Lately it has been a depressing field to be in. My salary and commissions slowly dwindled to almost nothing; as did my love and enthusiasm for the job.  I was just holding on for that steady paycheck- my bread and butter- so I could continue to work on my true passion- my nutritional consulting practice.

 I am finished with the tears and temper tantrums and now I have peace.  I am kind of relieved to not have to get up, get out, and hop on the train every morning.  I have so many other things going on and so many irons in the fire. This little break from the regular  9 -5 routine is a gift.  This could have happened in the winter but hey, it's spring time and summer is right around the corner. I can spend more time on the beach- which is something I love to do! When everyone else is stuck beneath florescent lighting behind a desk; I will be soaking up the sun on my beach chair. Ha ha ha!!!

Thankfully, I had enough sense over the years to actually save some of my salary, so I have no fear of being homeless or hungry.  I will have to cut back on a few things, that's for sure.  I won't be able to eat out as often and I will have to wear last year's summer sandals instead of buying ones. Same goes for last year's summer clothes. But on the flip-side- I don't have to worry about work clothes and unless I meeting with a client, my daily attire will be nothing more than a little skirt and a bikini top.  I can do all my writing and research from my beautiful deck outside, cold drink in hand, and take a quick dip in the pool to cool off. This doesn't sound so bad. It will be like a vacation- something I haven't had time to take in a very long time.

Ever the planner ( I am definitely not the type to sit around doing nothing) I do have some things on my agenda.  Here are some of the things I plan to do:

1. Spend more quality time with family. I am always so busy- I often feel guilty for not spending enough time with my loved ones. Now I can do breakfast or lunch with Dad or spend the day in Brooklyn with my sister.

2.  Redecorate my apartment.  I have been planning and talking about this for years and now I finally have the time to do it. I might not have the funds to do it as extravagently as I wanted, but that's ok.  There are bargins everywhere and now I will have the time to hunt them down.

3. Organize. I have clutter, paperwork and a collection of stuff that I have been meaning to deal with for the longest time. I tend to be a pack rat so now I will have the time to go through everything and toss or donate what I don't want or need.

4.  Write.  I have so many things I want to write. I have that novel I have been working on for years- now I have time to pour my heart out on paper. And someone turned me on to writing an e-book to help promote my business, so I can work on that, as well.

5.  Websites.  I am such a techno-dunce. I had no idea I can make money from my websites until someone actually told me. There's a company I just registered with so I can sit back and let my websites earn money for me. How awesome is that?

6.  Advertise.  I plan to advertise and market my consulting business BIG time.  Now I have the time so there is no excuse.

7.  Meet more clients in person.  I have worked out an arrangement to utilize the office I used to rent by the month on an hourly basis. Clients don't have to work around my schedule any longer (appointments after 7pm when I get off the train). By 7pm, I am frazzled, hungry and I just want to go home!  Now I will be able to meet with clients during the day- mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends!

These are just a few things I plan to do in my spare time. My goal is to stream-line my life and build my private practice to the point that I will never again have to depend on a 9 - 5 paycheck . I hate being cooped up in an office someplace trying to make some other person rich.  I would much prefer to spend my time, my energy and my talents on enriching my life and the lives of others. The money will come..... all my needs will be met.

 Things happen.  These are uncertain times.  No one is secure- no job is guaranteed.  Thankfully, I am prepared and have a back-up plan. And I am very, very excited about it!

Do you have a back up plan or something you have always dreamed of but just don't have time to work on?

Has that proverbial rug been pulled out from under your feet and now you have no clue what you are going to do?

Sometimes what seems to be a curse is really a blessing in disguise! You just have to see it that way......

It's all about attitude! You can either sit in a corner and feel sorry for yourself or you pick yourself by the bootstraps and move on to bigger and better things.  There are no mistakes. Everything happens for a reason.  I needed to be kicked- hard- out of the nest so I could fly. Now I have no choice. I either fly or I die.  I choose to fly- like an eagle- upward and onward!

How about you?

And this is my Daily Cyn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment