Monday, June 13, 2011

Show Me How You Play............

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. ~ Plato

A guy once told me (when he was trying to win my heart), "Hold on, baby! You are in for the ride of your life!"

He told me exactly what I wanted to hear and so I waited. And waited....

That ride he spoke of never got off the ground!

There was one excuse after the next as to why. There were a few legitimate reasons, I suppose. Some of them really tugged at my heart-strings. But where's was his sense of adventure? That 'let's throw caution to the wind' attitude he led me to believe he had in the beginning? I wanted to see some action behind all that "come on, baby, let's go get what we want!" he kept talking about.

When it comes to friends, dating and relationships, I am looking for a play-mate. Someone with both feet on the ground but who is also adventurous, daring and fun.  I don't mind if they break a few rules. Or make up the rules as they go. I don't have to win. I just want to enjoy the game. And I want someone to enjoy it with me.

This guy knew that about me when we met. He talked a good talk and everything he said led me to believe I had met my match. Now here was a guy who proclaimed to be exciting and spontaneous- a real go-getter.  And he wanted a future. With me.  But my mama didn't raise no fool.  Before I was willing to lay all my cards out on the table, I knew I needed sit back and just observe him at play--figuratively and literally. I watched him play the game of life.  He did not play fair. He was a real sore loser. In fact, he didn't really want to play at all.
If you really want to know someone, watch them play!

Some people are expert conversationalists. They take our breath away with flowery, passionate speeches. They seduce us with promises they don't intend to keep. They exalt themselves and flatter us and we fall for it. We invest our lives, our assets and our love in nothing more than words before we even know who they really are.

Show me how you play and I will show you who you are.   

Everything you need to learn about a person: who they are, what they will do (or not do), and how they will treat you will be revealed in the way they play.

So...go to the playground, get out the board games, a deck of cards, a bat and a ball, or what ever you fancy and watch.....

What kinds of games does he like to play?


Is he willing to play the games you enjoy?

Does he play fair ?

Does he cheat ?

Will he only play games he knows he will win?

Does he make excuses or blame others when he doesn't win?

Is he a sore loser?

When things don't go his way, does threaten to take all his toys and go home?

Is he willing to show you how to play the game?



Does he let you win every once in awhile?

Is he happy when you win?

Is this someone you can play with for the rest of your life?

Plato sure said a mouthful.

And this is my Daily Cyn.......

















.

No comments:

Post a Comment