Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hello.Goodbye. Good Morning. Good Night






Begin your day and end it by letting others know how precious they are....................

I have some bad habits. I also have a few good ones. Actually, the good ones are more than just habits; they are rules. One of the rules I abide by is:  Hello. Goodbye. Good Morning. Good Night. 


I am a firm believer in greetings and salutations.  It doesn't take much effort on my part. I just have to open my mouth and speak or quickly type a message. It's so easy to do this. I can do it in person, call someone on the phone, send a text message, shoot a quick e-mail, or by updating my Facebook or Google+ status. There really is no excuse not to do this. Every day. It makes others feel good and it makes me feel good, too.

I believe it is my moral obligation to do this on a daily basis. It could be because of my Southern roots. I happen to think that Southerners are the friendliest and most hospitable people in the country.  Up here in the North (where I currently reside) folks tend to be more cautious and reserved. They'll say hello when I pass them on the street; as long as I say it first. I don't really mind doing that.  Not at all. I've met amazing people and gained life long friends by simply exchanging a greeting.

When I was a little girl, my dad insisted I read the book, How to Win Friends and Influence People.  I was about ten years old at the time and it changed my life. I began to view the world differently; even at such a young age. I adopted the attitude that every single person I meet is a potential friend and every potential friend is looking for a friend.  A relationship that begins with a simple Hello. Goodbye. Good Morning. Good Night could last five minutes, for the two hour train ride into the city, or an entire lifetime. It doesn't matter.

This can be irritating to some people because sometimes I will pick out the most outrageous looking person in a crowd and begin a conversation. I usually start with a simple hello.  If that person is receptive, I will continue. "Wow. All those piercing on your face are so cool!  Did it hurt when you had them done?" Despite the fact that my friends are horrified and attempt to pull me away, I stand my ground and wait for a reply. I always get one. And it's always a nice reply. No one has ever told me to "Fuck off" or dragged me into a dark alley and tried to kill me. I think most people are basically good and willing to talk about themselves if they know you will listen. The repercussions can be staggering. I honestly believe you can change a person's life with a simple greeting, a kind gesture, or by listening to them.

Hello. Goodbye. Good Morning. Good Night. I believe in doing this with everyone; especially with the people I love and care about. Each time my son walks in or out the door; we exchange hugs and  kisses. When we wake up or go to sleep; we do the same. It's been this way since he was little. People think it's cute and sweet because he is such a big strapping man now. I look at it this way: We are reminding each other how precious we are.

I don't have a romantic partner in my life right now, but if I did; it would be exactly the same. He would get my Hello. Goodbye. Good Morning. Good Night greetings, hugs and kisses. This is just part of my M.O. Always has been. I am sure, at times, it's aggravating. I don't care. I would want him to know how precious he is to me. Every day. Even if I'm angry, he's still going to get that goodbye kiss. Why? When he walks out that door there is no guarantee that I am going to see him again.

Life is precious. People are precious and there are no guarantees. I want to live my life by letting others know how very precious they are: the girl at coffee shop, the stranger on the street, my child, my parents, my friends, the man in my life. It only takes a second or two of my precious time to do it.

And this is my Daily Cyn..............


No comments:

Post a Comment