Thursday, September 9, 2010
Fried Chicken- Reloaded
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
* 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
* 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
* 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
* 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned
* 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
*1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup peanut oil
* 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 lemon, thinly sliced
1. Place rind, juice, and next five ingredients (through drumsticks) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
2. Sift together flour and next three ingredients (through red pepper). Place flour mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag.
3. Remove chicken from marinade bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly over chicken. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture; seal bag and shake to coat chicken.
4. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
5. Place chicken on a wire rack; place rack in a jelly-roll pan. Cover and refrigerate 1 1/2 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350°.
7. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture; seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture. Discard remaining flour mixture.
8. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden, turning once.
9. Arrange chicken in single layer in a shallow roasting pan. Combine broth and reserved marinade in a small bowl; carefully pour broth mixture into pan. Sprinkle chicken evenly with sugar, and top with lemon slices.
10. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden and a thermometer registers 165°.
Serving size: 1 breast half, or 1 thigh plus 1 drumstick
Fat: 15.5g (sat 3.3g, mono 6.6g, poly 4.7g)