Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Piece of Cake.........


 Cookies, cakes, pies, chocolate, and ice cream just don't tempt me.  I do indulge on special occasions such as holidays and birthdays but very rarely. I never have anything sweet to eat in my home.  The sweetest foods you will find are fresh fruits, raisins, dried apricots, and a bottle of organic maple syrup.  It's not because I am so against sweets.  Everyone should have a treat now and then.  I just don't have sugar cravings and would prefer to eat something else.

I was cleaning out my fridge yesterday and found a  nice slice of left-over birthday cake from my son's party. It was a really good cake--red velvet with cream cheese frosting.  I took a taste of it and to my surprise, it was still pretty fresh. Ordinarily, I would just throw it away but instead I tried a little experiment.  I was curious to see how I would feel if I ate this slice of cake for breakfast instead of my usual healthy fare.  I grabbed a fork and ate the whole thing!

It didn't take very long to feel the effects of this sugar-loaded meal.  It hit me quickly because the last meal I ate was a light dinner the night before.  Within an hour I began to feel tired, sluggish, and light-headed.  There was no reason for me to be tired.  I slept well the night before.  It had to be that piece of cake. 

I tried to ignore the effects for awhile.  I had some writing and other work to do but I was having trouble focusing.  I forced myself to keep going until I felt such a drop in my blood-sugar that I had to stop and eat something.  My body needed protein and needed it fast! I cut up some cheese and shoved it in my mouth, hoping this would hold me over for awhile.

The cheese really didn't help all that much.  I had a headache.  I never get headaches.  I sat down on the couch and within minutes I was out cold.  I slept for 2 hours. In the early afternoon! I have never done that in my life! When I woke up I was in such a fog.  I really wanted to sleep more but I refused to do that.  I got up and fixed myself a healthy meal and felt a bit better after that, but still tired.  At 11PM on a friday night I was in bed and slept through until morning.

The reason why I wanted to try this experiment is because so many people I know start their days with donuts, muffins, danish, sugar-loaded cereal and other sweets.  We serve our kids POP TARTS and call it breakfast.  A good friend of mine (a grown man) eats FUNNY BONES for breakfast.  He is never NOT tired.  He sleeps more than a newborn baby.  I don't think he has any idea what it's like to feel well-rested. Perhaps this is you, too.  You are always tired.   Maybe you don't even realize how bad you feel because you don't know what it's like to actually feel good.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to be tired. Stay out late one night and you will be dragging the next day. That's normal. If you feel tired all the time--that's NOT normal.   There could be reasons--poor sleeping habits, illness, and stress are all contributing factors.  You need to identify the reason why you are tired all the time and fix it.  Could it be the food you are eating?  Pay attention to what you are nourishing your body with and think of ways you can improve. If you are not sure where to begin, send me an email at metamorphosis321@hotmail.com or message me on FACEBOOK.

As for me--no more cake for breakfast.  I learned my lesson!

And this is my Daily Cyn.......

No comments:

Post a Comment