Sunday, July 10, 2011

You Complete Me? Part One



"You cannot wait for someone to save you, to help you, to complete you. No one can complete you. You complete yourself."

Call me crazy, but I always hated the part in the movie Jerry McGuire when Tom Cruise utters that famous line to Renee Zellweger, "You complete me!"

Some women I know literally swoon over that line, hoping that some day, some guy might say the same to her. More than likely, it's never gonna happen. And if it does, girls, I suggest you run like hell. I don't know about you, but I would NEVER want the responsibility of COMPLETING someone! And if you are looking for someone to complete you, I am sorry but you will never find that person. It's up to you to be complete, on your own.

I admit, I do get a little lump in my throat when I watch that movie. It's sweet and I like a happy ending. The selfish Tom Cruise character finally gets it and wishes to spend the rest of his life with adorable little Renee and her equally adorable son.  He realizes that success is not as sweet without someone to actually share it with. That's great. I agree with that. Life can be better when you have someone beside you. And sharing it with someone who understands you, loves you and believes in you? It doesn't get better than that. But the whole completion thing? That just drives me crazy!

The Renee character was already complete- without a man. She had a son and she poured her life into him. She had a strong support system in place. She had the promise of a future and job opportunities. She knew who she was and was confident in who she was.  So much so, that she was willing to walk away from love rather than settle for a half-assed version of it. That was the attraction. That was what Tom Cruise found irresistible. Her strength is what drew him to her. She didn't need him. She wanted him. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Honestly, I think his epiphany that life is better with someone to share it with is what completed the Tom Cruise character- NOT the girl he realized he didn't want to live without. As wonderful as she is, eventually, she is going to fail him. If he puts all his hope in her- he will be disappointed. There is no way around it.  We don't really know what happens next because there is no sequel to the movie. We just assume they go on and live happily everafter......

Question: If he truly believes SHE completes HIM- can they live happily everafter? Something to think about.

To be continued, tomorrow.....

And this is my Daily Cyn........

No comments:

Post a Comment