Monday, August 1, 2011

Overcoming Diabetes in Thirty Days


Today, I want to talk a little about Diabetes. We all know what it is and we know it is growing epidemic in our nation. Here's a little info:

The two major forms of diabetes are TYPE 1 and TYPE 2. Type 1, formerly called juvenile onset diabetes occurs typically before the age of 20. Type 1 diabetes occurs in about 10-15 percent of all the diabetics in the country.



The most common type of diabetes is what we call type 2, formerly called adult onset. Type 2 diabetics are usually heavy, usually diagnosed after the age of 35. The cause of type 2 diabetes is quite different from type 1. The cause of type 2 diabetes is primarily a complicated medical condition called 'insulin resistance.' In fact, in the early stages of type 2 diabetes, there's plenty of insulin around, it just doesn't work well. Type 2 diabetes accounts for approximately 85 to 90 percent of all the diabetics in the country. Type 2 diabetes runs very strongly from generation to generation and it can be prevented if recognized at an early stage.

Here's the bad news: If type 2 diabetes runs in your family, chances are you are gonna get it, too. Especially if you live the typical American lifestyle, exist on the typical American diet and do NOTHING to prevent it. My mother has it. It was inevitable. She has been overweight for years, eats a very poor diet (she loves her fast foods, sweets and chocolate), and never exercises. It has gotten so out of hand that now she must inject herself with insulin every day. Right before dinner, she escapes into another room to 'shoot up'. We joke about it but it really is no laughing matter. It makes me sad because it could have been prevented and it quite possibly corrected with changes to her diet and lifestyle: changes she was not willing to make. Now diabetes and the dangers and risks associated with it rule her life. She is no longer in control. The diabetes is.....



My doctor tells me that eventually I should consider diabetes medication- for prevention. He believes I am destined to suffer from this disease because it runs in my family.  He is looking at my complete family history: heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, obesity- all contributing factors to diabetes. My heart is healthy, my cholesterol is fine, my blood pressure is actually lower than most and I am far from obese! My blood sugar levels do tend to dip a bit low but only if I go long periods of time without eating. Taking a pill is not the solution. The solution is:

I NEED TO EAT! 



Why on earth would I want to take something just in case I get something? Why would I consider introducing my body to a medication with side effects (upset stomach, vomiting, drowsiness, muscle aches and pains) and potential dangers that are more life threatening than the actual disease?


I am not obese now, but if I take the medication, chances are I will be. Weight-gain is a side-effect. Does this make sense to you?

If by chance I do happen to contract diabetes (and I will totally shocked if I do), I will re-adjust my diet before anything else. I will make changes that are more radical than I have already made. I currently eat a plant based diet, avoid packaged processed foods, white sugar, white flour. I rarely drink alcohol, never eat sweets. I believe with all my heart that my diet is the major reason why, at forty-nine years of age, I am in great health. I am the healthiest member of my family. I look good, I feel good and I have the energy of a teenager. I must be doing something right! These are the reasons I became a nutrutional consultant: to help others become the healthiest they can be- naturally.



I would never consider taking meds when I know there are alternatives out there. This doesn't mean I am always anti-medication. I just believe it should be used only as a last resort.






Do not stop taking insulin or medication if you are currently using these methods to control your diabetes OR if your doctor has told you they are a matter of life and death. If your blood sugar levels fluctuate dangerously high and low, it can be life threatening.  However, if your doctor suggests you consider taking meds because you are at risk of diabetes or show early warning signs of this disease, ask him for some time to work on it yourself by changing your diet and lifestyle first. If he is not in agreement, find a new doctor. It's your body, NOT his. You have every right to take matters into your own hands and to heal yourself before submitting to his methods.

Lifestyle changes can work miracles. I've seen it with my own eyes. I have experienced it in my own life. Yes, you might have to say no to that piece of pie or boxed mac and cheese. You might need to stop eating meat and include more fruits and veggies in your diet.  Instead of sleeping in, you'll be up early every morning and walking on the treadmill. Seltzer with lime might become your drink of choice instead of vodka or scotch. Quite possibly, for the rest of your life.  I never said it will be easy, but these changes can help prevent and possibly cure any disease or illness, not just diabetes. I am sad to say, in most cases, people opt for the easier way out- they swallow the pill.

Don't just listen to me. I found this video this morning and I want to share it with you. It's about six people who overcame diabetes in thirty days, simply by changing to a raw, vegan diet. This is a radical change-- but it works and it's worth a look. Share it with your doctor and see if this is an option for you. Show it to your family, friends, anyone you know who suffering with diabetes or is potentially at risk.

Simply Raw- Overcoming Diabetes in 30 Days

And this is my Daily Cyn.......

No comments:

Post a Comment